To determine which out of four popular cleaners can get a grape juice stain out the best.
Grape juice stains are some of the toughest stains to get out of clothing and often ruin good, expensive clothes. There are many popular cleansers on the market today that claim they can get rid of a tough grape juice stain – do you think they work? Prove it!
- Four swatches of white fabric
- Grape juice
- Distilled water (one gallon will do)
- Four scrubbing sponges
- Oxygen bleach (such as Oxy Clean)
- Chlorine bleach
- White vinegar
- Notebook or journal for note taking
- Camera or video camera if you have one
- Rubber gloves
Estimated Experiment Time
A few hours.
- 1. Prepare one swatch of fabric with a grape juice stain.
- 2. Proceed to use the sponge and oxygen bleach cleanser (you may need to mix with a little water – in that case, you can use the distilled water) to scrub the stain out.
- 3. Take photos if you can and write detailed notes about how well you were able to get the grape juice stain out with the oxygen cleanser.
- 4. Repeat steps one through three for each type of cleanser. The vinegar does not need to be mixed with water.
These items are usually commonly found in your home or at the supermarket. You may need an adult’s supervision when working with bleach and other chemicals. Wear gloves when handing any and all chemicals. When finished with the experiment, discard the swatches accordingly and put the cleaning solutions in a safe place out of the reach of children and pets.
When recording how well each cleaner got the grape juice stain out, it is important to note the size of the stain, the color before and after cleaning as well as how long it took for the stain to come out.
The results of this experiment depend on what you get during your trials. Which cleaner did the experiment show worked best on grape juice stains? How long did it take for the stain to come out? If the stains did not come out completely, do you think they would have if you let the fabric soak or scrubbed longer? Do you think it would be a good idea for families with children to keep this type of cleaner on hand for grape juice and other types of stains?
Take a moment to visit our table of Periodic Elements page where you can get an in-depth view of all the elements,
complete with the industry first side-by-side element comparisons!